Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Long Line of Union Pacific Locomotives


A peek through Marshalltown, Iowa's Center Street viaduct fence reveals a very long line of Union Pacific locomotives. For years locomotives have been maintained in this yard - even before the Lincoln Highway passed through. And for years residents have been waiting for trains to pass at railroad crossings throughout the city. In the mid-1990s the city rerouted some streets to utilize a new bridge across these tracks. Last year an abandoned line which entered the city from the northwest was removed and a bike trail may take its place. This stretch of linked locomotives may be a way to transport the engines to their next destination but I don't know for sure. Hopefully a knowledgeable reader can explain what this train chain is all about.

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea, but I do love the way the long line appeals to my eyes. I thought of you last weekend, when I came upon a very old train depot that was covered with weeds. I wanted to stop for a photo, but the bugs were BAD. next time...

    ReplyDelete